Chief Representative (Shanghai Office)
English, Mandarin, French
Education & Qualifications
Ph.D Law School, Wuhan University
LL.M Law School, Wuhan University
LL.B School of Politics and Law, Central China Normal University
Admitted to the Chinese Bar since 2004
Dr Ling Yang is Deputy Secretary-General of HKIAC and Chief Representative of the Shanghai Office.
Prior to joining HKIAC, Ling was an Associate Professor at the East China University of Political Science and Law where she taught international arbitration for more than eight years. During 2017, Ling was a visiting scholar at Boston University School of Law. Ling has published widely on issues of international dispute resolution and arbitration in China, and currently serves as Executive Editor-in-Chief for the Shanghai International Arbitration Review. Ling has also been appointed as arbitrator. She obtained a PhD in 2009 and an LLM in International Law in 2006 from Wuhan University. In 2008, she was visiting scholar at the University of Aix-en-Provence Marseille III.
“Key Issues on Chinese and International Arbitration”, Shanghai Sanlian Press, 2013
“Procedure of International Commercial Arbitration”, Law Press, 2011
Articles since 2010:
- 'Critique on Legal Function of Chinese Arbitration Institution', Legal Science, Vol.2, 2016
- 'Redemption of Chinese Arbitration?' — Comments on the Civil Procedure Law (2012) and Free Trade Zone Arbitration Rules (2014), Chinese Journal of International Law, Vol.4, 2014.
- 'On the Effectiveness of ‘Arbitration or Litigation’: Comparative Study on Mainland China and Taiwan law and Practice', North West University Journal, Vol. 4, 2014
- 'Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in Mainland China: Focus on the cases of People’s Supreme Court', Taiwan Law Review, Vol. 7, 2013
- 'State Immunity and International Commercial Arbitration', Law Journal, Vol.2, 2013
- 'History of the Arbitral Procedure', Chinese Yearbook of Private International and Comparative Law, 2013
- 'State Immunity and the Enforcement of International Investment Arbitration Awards,' Law Review, Vol.6, 2012
- 'State Immunity of the Enforcement of International Commercial Arbitration,' Modern Law, Vol.5, 2012
- 'Procedural Management in Arbitration, Nantong University Journal', Vol.3, 2012.
- 'Commencement of International Commercial Arbitration', North West University Journal, Vol.1, 2012
- 'State Immunity in Europe: Law and Practice', Europe Study, Vol. 5, 2011.
- 'Service in International Commercial Arbitration', Chinese Yearbook of Private International and Comparative Law, 2011
- 'Public Policy in International Commercial Arbitration', Politics and Law, Vol. 11, 2010.
- 'The Construction and Application of New York Convention in China', American Law Report International, Cases and Annotations, chapter author, West/Thomson Reuters, 2010