HK45 is the group for all young arbitration practitioners in Asia and beyond. Our aims are to promote the use of arbitration and Hong Kong as a seat, to provide a platform for members to learn from each other and leading professionals, and to help Hong Kong remain an inclusive and welcoming place for arbitration lawyers young and old who practice in the region. HK45 organises regular seminars, careers events and socials, and with HKIAC publish a newsletter with a readership of over 5000 people. Membership of HK45 is free. To join, please click here.
HK45 is led by co-chairs Robert Rhoda (Bird & Bird) and Tomas Furlong (Herbert Smith Freehills). The committee consists of John Rhie (Quinn Emanuel) Sarah Grimmer (HKIAC Secretary General), Sheila Ahuja (Allen & Overy), Desmond Ang (Sidley Austin), Jose-Antonio Maurellet S.C. (Des Voeux Chambers) and Kiran Sanghera (Harbour Litigation Funding). The HKIAC provides logistical and administrative support.
There is much to look forward to in the coming term for HK45 and the committee welcomes collaboration with the arbitration community, so if you have ideas for any projects or events, please contact the committee. Upcoming events include:
- HK45/CAM-CCBC/Vis East Moot arbitrator training session (Sunday, 26 March 2017 at 2:30), hosted by Clifford Chance. The Training Session will include a brief overview of the Vis East moot, as well as a briefing of this year’s problem and the issues involved, and the applicable arbitral rules (the Arbitration and Mediation Centre of the Brazil-Canada Chamber of Commerce (CAM-CCBC)). It will provide guidance on how to make the most of the moot experience for participants and tips on giving helpful feedback. We look forward to hearing from champion mooter Eric Ng (on behalf of Vis East) and Carlos Forbes (President of CAM-CCBC), together with Vis "Star Arbitrators" David Huebner and Sameer Shah and more! For more details, click here. For registration, click here.
- HK45/ICC YAF/AFIA Symposium "Guerrilla Tactics in International Arbitration" (Tuesday, 28 March at 6pm), hosted by Hogan Lovells, with a keynote speech from Dr. Günther J. Horvath, Partner, Freshfields. Panellists include Tomas Furlong, Herbert Smith Freehills (HK45), James Ng, Counsel, HKIAC (AFIA), Abhinav Bhushan, Director, South Asia, ICC Arbitration & ADR (ICC-YAF), Janie Wong, Dechert (ICC-YAF), Adam Bryan, Allen & Overy (HK45) and Katie Chung, Norton Rose Fulbright (AFIA). For more details, click here. For registration, click here.
HK45 seminar on Russia-related disputes (Thursday, 30 March 2017 at 9am), hosted by HKIAC, featuring Anna Grishchenko (KIAP Attorneys Moscow and HK45 Ambassador for Russia), Andrey Gorlenko (Arbitration Centre, Moscow) and Olga Boltenko (CMS Hasche Sigle, Hong Kong). For more details, click here. For registration, click here.
- HK45/ICC YAF Arbitration Careers Event, an event for students and junior lawyers who wish to pursue a career in arbitration (Friday, 31 March 2017 at 4pm), hosted by Allen & Overy. Panellists include John Choong (Freshfields), Edern Coent (ICC) Sylvia Ko (Shangri-La Asia Ltd) and Kim Rooney (Gilt Chambers). For more details, click here. For registration, click here.
- HK45 Roadshows on "Making the Most of the First 60 Days of an Arbitration" in Seoul (April), Mumbai (July), Beijing (September) and Sydney (October).
HK45 hosted a lively Arbitration Pub Quiz during Hong Kong arbitration week (20 October 2016) sponsored by Alvarez and Marsal and Herbert Smith Freehills. Other recent events include:
- the HK45 Annual Update (14 February 2017), featuring Sarah Grimmer (HKIAC); Bryan Fok (Herbert Smith Freehills); Kiran Sanghera (Harbour Litigation Funding); Harold Noh (Quinn Emanuel); Joanne Lau (Allen & Overy) and Alan Tsang (Sidley Austin);
- an HK45 Roadshow "Making the Most of the First 60 Days of an Arbitration" in Shanghai (12 October 2016);
- an HK45 Arbitration Supper Club with Christopher Moger QC sponsored by Bird and Bird (26 October 2016);
- an HK45 Arbitration Supper Club with Gavin Denton and Nicolas Wiegand sponsored by Arbitration Chambers HK and CMS Law (7 October 2016); and
- "Dos and Don'ts of Presenting to a tribunal" with Neil Kaplan QC and Sir Bernard Rix sponsored by Allen and Overy (21 June 2016).