Parties or tribunals may seek HKIAC's assistance in the appointment of an expert. HKIAC may be requested to appoint an expert or recommend an expert (or a number of experts) for the parties and tribunal's consideration. A written application to HKIAC for the appointment or recommendation of an expert(s) shall include the following:
- a request for HKIAC to appoint or recommend an expert (or number of experts);
- particulars of the parties and their representatives (if any), including their names, addresses, telephone and facsimile numbers, email addresses and nationalities;
- particulars of any arbitrators already appointed;
- particulars of any experts who have already participated in the proceedings, and who are experts in the same field in respect to which the application is being made;
- a copy of the contract(s) or agreement(s) in respect of which the dispute has arisen;
- a copy of the parties' agreement under which the appointment or recommendation of an expert (or number of experts) by HKIAC is to be made;
- any agreed qualifications of the expert and any other information relevant to the kind of expertise required;
- a description of the nature of the dispute including the amount in dispute; and
- confirmation that copies of the application and any supporting documents included therewith have been or are being served simultaneously on all other parties and the tribunal when appropriate by one or more means of service to be identified in such confirmation.
An application can be submitted to HKIAC by email (email@example.com), fax (+852 2524 2171) or by post. HKIAC’s postal address can be found here.
The application shall be accompanied by payment of HK$8,000 as the Appointment Fee to the account of HKIAC. HKIAC reserves the right to charge additional fees where the circumstances so require. Payment can be submitted either by cheque drawn to “Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre” or by bank transfer to the following account:
A/C Name: Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
A/C No.: 567-190897-001
Bank: Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation
1 Queen’s Road Central, Hong Kong
SWIFT Code: HSBC HK HHH KH
If you wish to pay by bank transfer, please identify the paying party when making the payment and notify us once payment has been made with proof of remittance. Please note that all bank charges are to be borne by the remitting party.