The IBA Arbitration Committee, together with the Casablanca International Mediation and Arbitration Centre (CIMAC), the ICC International Court of Arbitration (ICC), the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), the London Court of International Arbitration (ICLA) and Wolters Kluwer, are supporting this event to provide an opportunity for prominent lawyers and decision-makers to discuss the future of Casablanca as a place for arbitration in Africa, and to increase knowledge and discuss issues of shared interest in an open environment.
The title of the conference is Casablanca’s Place in a Shifting World: a Rising Arbitration Venue in Africa and for South-South Disputes.
Topics to be addressed will include:
- Have the dynamics and perceptions of arbitration evolved with the change of the world economy
- Evolutions in arbitration theory (third parties, arbitrability and enforcement of awards)
- Evolutions in arbitration practice (the role of users and counsels, arbitrators vs judges, and the increasing importance of arbitral institutions)
- New fields to conquer (mass claims, finance and banking disputes, and low-cost arbitration)
- New dynamics (a changing world in the Middle East and Africa, and new emerging powers in the South)