Practice Note on the Challenge of an Arbitrator 2014
31 October 2014
HKIAC has issued a Practice Note to govern challenges to arbitrators in arbitrations administered by HKIAC under any of the following rules:
- 2013 HKIAC Administered Arbitration Rules;
- 2008 HKIAC Administered Arbitration Rules;
- any other arbitration rules issued by HKIAC which designate HKIAC to decide challenges to arbitrators;
- 2010 UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules(with or without paragraph 4 of Article 1 as introduced in 2013);
- 1976 UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules;
and in any other arbitration in which the parties agree this Practice Note shall apply.
The Practice Note comes into force on 31 October 2014. It replaces the HKIAC Challenge Rules adopted on 25 March 2008 and the Practice Note on the Challenge of an Arbitrator effective on 1 November 2013. For the avoidance of doubt, this Practice Note shall be treated as the Challenge Rules referred to in Article 11.7 of the 2008 HKIAC Administered Arbitration Rules.
The Practice Note codifies procedures for a party to challenge an arbitrator under a range of rules into one streamlined, user-friendly document and creates a unitary system for filing and deciding such challenges. The adoption of the Practice Note reflects HKIAC’s long-standing commitment to developing innovative practices to provide the most efficient and cost-effective arbitral process to its users.
Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
Tel: (852) 2525 2381
Fax: (852) 2524 2171